Provincial Governments, Regional Authorities and Hospitals
Seija Kromm (student)
The objective of this project is to better understand accountability approaches between provincial governments, regional authorities, and hospitals. The study focuses on the province of Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care (MOHLTC), Local Health Integration Networks (LHINs), and associated accountability requirements of acute care hospitals.
The PhD research of Ms. Seija Kromm is a substudy of this sector and will utilize both Ontario and Alberta data obtained from a survey of the strategic priorities of acute care hospitals in the two provinces. Publicly available documents have also been collected from these two provinces and are in the process of being analyzed. The addition of Alberta allows the overall trends in accountability and hospital strategic priorities to be disentangled from those affecting individual provinces. This work will inform the broader study examining approaches to accountability across multiple health care sub-sectors.
The research project will employ a case study methodology which consists of the following components:
- Document review
- Survey of the strategic priorities of acute care hospitals in Ontario and Alberta. Ontario Strategic Priorities Survey
- Key stakeholder interviews in a select sub-set of acute care hospitals in Ontario and Alberta.
Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care
Canadian Healthcare Association
Ontario Hospital Association
Local Health Integration Networks
Current Project Status:
- PhD dissertation research has been reviewed and is currently being carried out.
- Research ethics approval has been obtained from the Research Ethics Board at the University of Toronto.
- A survey instrument has been updated using input from numerous stakeholders and been piloted. The survey will be disseminated early September 2011.
Deber RB, Smith T, Gamble B, Kromm SK. Approaches to Accountability: Implications of Goals, Governance, Services, and Sub-sectors. National Healthcare Leadership Conference. St.John’s, Newfoundland, Canada 2009.
Kromm SK and Deber RB. Measurability and Performance for Accountability. The International Health Economics Association, 8th World Congress. Toronto, Ontario, Canada 2011.
Kromm SK and Deber RB. Accountability, Measurability, and Performance Criteria. The Canadian Association for Health Services and Policy Research Conference. Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada 2011.
Deber RB, Kromm SK, Steele Gray C, Gamble B. Approaches to Accountability: Panel Discussion. The Canadian Association for Health Services and Policy Research Conference. Toronto, Ontario, Canada 2010.